Invest in Yourself
Okay, so I totally get it when we don’t make it in to the gym some days. We have full-time jobs, commutes, kids’ games, school functions, groceries to pick up, the dog to walk, bills to pay, a broken sink to fix, and unexpected accidents. Sh** happens, man.
There is ALWAYS time to workout, though, and let me explain how.
Not every workout has to be one to two hours long. Not every workout has to be brutally painful and Instagram-worthy. Sometimes, a workout can be as simple as one little Tabata. Yes, literally a 4-minute workout for the day. I know there are some of you out there thinking, “Four f***ing minutes?! Seriously?! What’s the point?!”
Well, the point is that every single minute you invest into your fitness, you get rewarded for it down the road. It’s just like investing your money! Yes, investing your time actually pays you back - It can increase alertness, increase mood, increase productivity, strengthen the heart, decrease likelihood of health conditions, increase independence and capabilities, prevent injuries, lower cholesterol, get rid of Diabetes Type 2, and as an added bonus, even make you look good naked. ;-)
We tell our kids that “every penny counts,” and that “it all adds up in the long run.” Well, time to practice what we preach and apply it to how we spend our TIME.
On those especially busy, overwhelming days, just invest a few minutes to yourself.
Here are some easy ways to get a little workout in, and invest a few minutes towards your long-term quality of life:
1) Tabata: 8 Rounds, 20 sec on / 10 sec off. Use any movement you’d like!
2) Do 20 Burpees
3) Hold a 2-min Plank
4) Walk/Jog/Run for 10-20 minutes
5) 100 Jumping Jacks
6) 5-10 Rounds: 5 Push ups, 10 Sit ups, 15 Air Squats
7) “Bring Sally Up” song - Use an up-and-down movement, like Back Squat, Front Squat, Push up, HSPU, Goblet Squat, Ring Dip, OHS, etc.
8) 50-100 Air Squats
9) “Flight Simulator” Singles or Double Unders: 10-20-30-40-50-40-30-20-10. Each set must be completed unbroken. You must stop the rope after each set, and then start the next set. So, in other words, you can’t combine the 10-20-30 and do 60 DU’s unbroken.
10) Need a stress relief?! Do a Tabata Slam Balls!
So, there’s just a few simple ideas for the days when you just can’t make it to the gym, but need a little something. There is always time to workout, you just have to make the time for it, and even 4 minutes is better than no minutes today!
Now, go invest your time into yourself! ;-)